When is the Next Gathering?
Mainely Men 74 will be October 5-8, 2018.
What are the Arrival and Departure Times?
You are welcome to arrive on Friday any time after 3pm. Departure is around 1pm after closing circle and lunch on the last day of the conference.
What Should I Bring?
- Warm sleeping bag or bedding, a pillow
- Always bring warm clothing regardless of season
- Toiletry articles
- Swimwear if you plan to swim
- Musical Instruments if you’d like to do some jamming.
- Sheet music (there is a piano)
- Tapes & CD’s as accompaniment for the cultural event or dance program
- Materials related to men’s issues
- Other items of interest to share
- Drums if you want to participate in the drumming circle
- Props/materials if you plan to participate in the Cultural Event
- Materials for Wall of Interest if you plan to display
What Not to Bring
- Children under 18 years of age
Who Attends Mainely Men Gatherings and Where Do They Come From?
Starting in 1982 with 30 men, the average number of attendees is about 50 men. Ages have ranged from 18 to the mid-80’s.
We are sons, fathers, single, married, divorced, straight, bisexual, gay, and men of different racial, ethnic and religious backgrounds.
Men come not only from New England but also throughout the United States, some as far away as California. As one of the oldest, long-standing men’s retreats, we have men join us from New York, Canada, the southeast and southwest.
We range from accountants to carpenters, from florists to administrators, from professionals to students.
Where Do I Sleep?
There are 13 cabins to the north side along Lake Cobbosseecontee attached by a boardwalk. There are four more cabins on the south side. Each cabin is equipped with a wood stove and an average of eight bunks.
Where Are the Showers/Toilets?
Cabins have toilets, sinks, and showers with hot water.
Is Smoking Permitted?
Yes, smoking is in the designated smoking area close to the main lodge. No smoking is permitted on the boardwalk or cabins.
Are There Provisions for the Handicapped?
Cabins all have ramps for easy access. However, please contact the Registrar when making your reservation and let him know of your needs. As a rule, we prefer you use one of the cabins that has been especially equipped for this purpose.
How is Mainely Men Run?
We are an unstructured group that meets in the spring and fall and exists as a group primarily during the conference weekend.
- There is no membership and no dues.
- A six-man board of directors whose membership is comprised of men who have attended Mainely Men oversees the operation of the twice-yearly conferences.
- Volunteers coordinate programs, purchase healthy foods and plan meals and assume responsibility for all the chores, including clean up and preparation of meals.
What is Pilgrim Lodge?
Pilgrim Lodge was built in 1929 and 1930 as a private camp for adults. It was purchased by the Maine Conference, United Church of Christ as a home for their summer camping program in 1956. The main lodge contains a dining area, kitchen, program room and a smaller gathering room with a fireplace. It can hold about 100 adults comfortably. There are two playing fields, an outdoor chapel, swimming and boating docks with canoes, walking trails and a stone labyrinth. Pilgrim Lodge owns two islands off the mainland, one available for program and one which is deemed forest preserve and not available for use. In total there are approximately 100 acres of beautiful woods.